The Pingree Grove & Countryside Fire Protection District is once again participating in the "Keep the Wreath Red" program during the holiday season. As you drive past the fire stations during this time, please take note of the large wreaths that are displayed on the buildings. These wreaths will be illuminated with red lights. When a fire is determined to be caused or related to holiday decorations, one of the bulbs will be changed to white. The program is designed to remind the public of fire safety during the holiday season. Safety tips to remember this holiday season:
• Select only the freshest natural trees, and remember to keep it watered and away from heat sources, including televisions and radios.
• Use only those artificial trees with safety approved tags.
• Use lights that have been approved by a testing laboratory.
• Discard any light strings having frayed cords or sockets.
• Turn off all lights and extinguish all candles before bed and before leaving your house.
• Avoid overloading circuits or extension cords. Check instructions with light strings to determine the maximum number you may place in one outlet.
• Keep candles a safe distance from other things, and remember that a flickering flame is a fascination to little children. Keep candles out of their reach.
• Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens.
• Always use non-flammable candle holders.
• Keep candles away from other decorations and wrapping paper.
• Place candles where they cannot be knocked down or blown over.
The Officers and Staff of the Pingree Grove & Countryside Fire Protection District wish everyone a joyous and fire safe holiday season, and remember to Keep the Wreath Red.